Tuesday, August 14, 2007

A tale of my two cities...part one

No, I will not start with the Dover Mail.

Cincinnati and Chicago both have special places in my heart, and both bother me to no end. The next few posts will explore my love/hate relationship with each of my two cities.



Cincinnati is where I started. In many ways, the best thing about Cincinnati are all of it's nicknames: The Queen City, The Queen of the West, The Blue Chip City, The City of Seven Hills, and my personal favorite - Porkopolis.

These names bring a sense of charm which, frankly, Cincinnati does not always show. At a recent work event the CVB of Cincinnati was an exhibitor. While other cities showcased their city's stellar cuisine, Cincinnati had a full court of Cornhole.


Why not have a head to head competition of LaRosa's vs Chicago style pizza? Why not bring a girl some Skyline? Why the HECK didn't they bring me some ever lovin' Greaters! (feel free to order me some by clicking on the image to the left).





But that is not to say Cincinnati is all bad. I happen to enjoy Newport on the Levee very much - but actually, that is in Kentucky. Goetta Fest has it's quirky fun aspects - but actually that is in Kentucky too. Hmmmm.

Mark Twain said:

"When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Cincinnati because it's always twenty years behind the times."

There is: Art Museum, riverfront, Mount Adams, Mount Airy, Skyline, LaRosa's, Greaters, Buskins, Playhouse, the old Riverfront Stadium...and my family. My family has been and will remain to be in Cincinnati forever. From First Avenue to Lombardy Street to Pontius to Sarah's Oak Drive my family will be in Cincinnati and that will make me put up with Cornhole, and Kroger's' and the riducious flight to CVG. It is my hometown, my first city.

Look for part two on Chicago in the coming days...

2 Comments:

At August 15, 2007 at 1:08 PM , Blogger Lou said...

LaRosa's beats Chicago style pizza any day! Chicago wins everything else.

 
At August 21, 2007 at 11:44 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right now I have cornhole in the garage, Graeters in the freezer, Skyline in the pantry and an empty LaRosa's box in the garbage... staples for every Cincinnatian. mom

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home