Tuesday, August 14, 2007

My first 5K

I will be running my first 5K this September 15th. It is for the Chicago AIDS Run/Walk. I paid the extra 5 bucks to get the chip to time my run, but honestly, I am a little scared I am not going to make it. Okay, that isn't quite true. I am afraid I am not going to make it on my terms.

6 months ago I would not have considered myself competitive. But watching other runners pass me on the trail, well, pisses me off. I guess that is good motivation, but is that the kind of person I want to be? The kind of person that constantly compares herself to everyone around her?

By the end of this week, I will have my first 20 minute run in. If I survive that, I think I will make it - but i doubt I will be setting any records.

Check out my AIDS Run/Walk website. And feel free to sponsor me if you are able.

1 Comments:

At August 15, 2007 at 1:21 PM , Blogger Lou said...

A topic near and dear to my heart. Watch out... running is addictive.

I hate to get all runner zen on you, but... Acceptance of one's pace and ability is a beautiful thing. So is competition. So is the knowing in your heart that you will get better, it's just going to take time. Remember you're only racing against yourself.

It takes a lot to get out there and be a new runner. I applaud you and look forward to engaging you during our journey to the land o' cheese with a story called, "Running Changed My Life."

I bet you're kinda sorry you bought that ticket now. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home