Monday, June 11, 2007

chillin' without veggin'

I have been in my new apartment for over a week now. I have my clothes all put away and my dished neatly stored. I have even bought that fancy new automatic shower cleaner. I am pretty sure it goes against my efforts to have "zero-impact" on the environment, but boy do I love the prospect of not having to clean my shower ever again! The only thing I have not settled into is my television.

I have the same TV that I, alone, balanced on top of our full-size refrigerator in that TINY freshman dorm room over seven years ago. VCR included in the TV; approximately 24x24 in size. It works, and the way I have my new apartment set up; I can watch TV from the bed, the kitchen, and the bathroom hallway. (can you say studio)

And I love TV, but I love crappy TV most of all. I used to fall asleep to Comedy Central, at 2am switch to TBS, then wake up and click to CNN. (I miss Soladad O'Brien) But since I have moved, I have not watched any TV. I have no cable, no local channels, not even one of the four PBS stations Chicago carries. What will I do without Antique Roadshow?

Of course I have my limited collection of DVD and VHS. Drop Dead Gorgeous and Harry Potter are getting considerably more play than they would have under normal circumstances. NPR is also getting a lot of play. And in an odd way - I prefer it.

Listen to the NPR allows me to multi-task in a way that is not capable while watching TV. Right now, I am eating dinner; listening to a great Chicago NPR program 848; and writing in my blog. I am catching up on current events without having to listen to an old white male news talking-head chit-chat with a young, attractive female talking-head.

I am chillin' without veggin'. Is that possible, or have I just rationalized another potentially lazy expression.

So, will I get cable? I compromised today and increased my Netflix order to two-at-a-time. Will I be able to replace my compulsion for crappy TV with NPR and documentaries from Netflix? I hope so, but at what cost? Will I now have nothing to say in the kitchen when other co-workers gather? Or, will I finally have something to say because I didn't spend the night before engulfed in Super Nanny.

And as my sister reminded me, I can always watch reruns on the Internet...

AK

1 Comments:

At June 17, 2007 at 4:51 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude. How is it possible that you are living without cable??? We need to get that fixed, pronto. Love the blog! I'm so happy that you bit the bullet!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home